Search This Blog

Thursday, November 10, 2011

THE SECRET OF THE BRADFORD HOUSE
by Albert A. Bell, Jr


In the land of cyberspace – where bloggers and tweets and information circle the globe at racing speeds – I look forward to a slower pace; I love cuddling up with a good book.  And like our five children, I’ll take my historical fiction with real-life mystery, epic characters, and page turning suspense.

When our children were in middle grades I searched high and low to find historical fiction that was both entertaining and accurate.  I found Brian Jacques, G.A. Henty, The American Girls Collection, Catherine Marshall, Lucy Maud Montgomery, and now our very own Michigander, Dr. Albert Bell.

I first met Albert Bell at an SCBWI-MI Fall Conference in 2010.  Intrigued by his studious demeanor, I decided to do a bit of research.  I found a historian, a professor, a person who invests his time back into community, and an author of compelling historical fiction; I also found my two teenage boys peering over my shoulder and asking for his latest book, THE SECRET OF THE BRADFORD HOUSE.  When teenagers ask for historical fiction, I run and buy it.

What I enjoyed most about THE SECRET OF THE BRADFORD HOUSE was the emphasis Dr. Bell put on relationships throughout the book.  Real life happenings, realistic characters – all wrapped around secrecy and suspense.  At times I cried because of remembrances from my own childhood.  Many times I laughed at the child-like distinctiveness each character resonated.  But when I tried to second-guess the story, I was fooled and surprised, many times over.

Our family of readers couldn’t put the book down.  I loved the book and highly recommend it.

Look for my Q & A interview with Albert Bell over the next two weeks.







No comments:

Post a Comment